New Hampshire Club Notes
Little Red Schoolhouse to be opened to public
NEWPORT — The Reprisal Chapter of Daughters of the American Revolution will open the Little Red Schoolhouse, a school turned museum, to the public from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturdays in July and August.
The museum, which is at the corner of Route 10 and Pollards Mill Road, has its original desks and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Classes began there in 1835, with Josiah Stevens as the first teacher. The school operated until 1885, when the town of Newport adopted the school union system. In 1952, the DAR chapter obtained the schoolhouse and began restoring it as a museum. The chapter now maintains the former schoolhouse and hosts its visitors.
Winnipesaukee DAR celebrates 90 years
WOLFEBORO — The Winnipesaukee Chapter of DAR celebrated its 90 years as a chapter this month at the Wolfeboro Inn. Regent Nancy Ramos welcomed the members and visitors before the meal.
The chapter says it will present the Wolfeboro Historical Society with a Historic Preservation Recognition Award on July 13 at the Clark House Museum Complex during its "Colonial Days." The chapter was the first to conduct tours of the Clark House in the summer of 1923, six months after the chapter started.
Several members read short stories about their Revolutionary War ancestor. Clips about the chapter from 1923 meeting minutes also were read.
Guests included Laura McCrillis Kessler, state DAR regent; Catherine Fisher, assistant state treasurer and regent, Mary Torr Chapter, Rochester; Roxanna Smith, vice regent, Mercy Hathaway White Chapter, Bradford area; Ann Hasbany, regent, Buntin-Rumford-Webster Chapter; and Rosalie Babiarz, regent, Mary Butler Chapter, Laconia.
Kessler gave the oath of membership to Lisa Allen, Gail Dutt and Lavinia Plough, then Lurene I. Wentworth was presented with her 50-year DAR certificate.
The state regent also installed officers for 2013-2016: Ramos, regent; Susan Fossum, vice regent; Karin Hargy, chaplain; Deborah Gauthier, secretary; Jill Gardner, treasurer; and Priscilla Theberge, registrar. Executive Board members are Muriel V. Stinson, Bunny Thompson and Sandra Wentworth.
During the business meeting, members were told the Paul Revere III bronze plaque the chapter had placed in the Brewster Town Hall bell tower in 1959, which had been missing since 1979, was found, cleaned and mounted on a wood plaque. The chapter hopes to hang it in the town hall entrance.
The chapter's meetings are on hiatus until Sept. 14, but members will participate in Wolfeboro's Fourth of July parade.
For more information about the chapter or membership, contact Ramos at 569-9362 or firstname.lastname@example.org.