Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox roll over Rockies
Tuesday night was more of the same.
Dempster (5-8, 10 quality starts, tied for the team lead) had received two runs or less of support in eight of his 15 starts, but that wasn’t the case Tuesday. He gave up a solo homer to Wilin Rosario (No. 12, one of his three hits) in the second and an RBI single to Nolan Arenado in the fourth.
Arenado also had three hits, scoring from first on Shane Victorino’s three-base error in the seventh. Carlos Gonzalez’s two-out RBI single greeted reliever Craig Breslow.
Nicasio, who came in 0-2 in six starts since his fourth win on May 19, labored through 64 pitches in the first two innings as the Red Sox, unable to hit with runners in scoring position over the weekend, came through.
Ellsbury opened the first inning with a double, took third on Victorino’s sacrifice bunt and scored on Pedroia’s single. David Ortiz and Mike Napoli both walked and Nava made it 2-0 with a single. Nicasio escaped further trouble, striking out Jarrod Saltalamacchia and getting Stephen Drew to pop out.
But in the bottom of the inning with two out and nobody on, the roof caved in on Nicasio.
With one out in the third, Iglesias, Ellsbury and Victorino singled, and Ellsbury scored on right fielder Michael Cuddyer’s error. Pedroia then had his third RBI hit in as many innings to chase Nicasio. Victorino and Pedroia pulled off a double steal as Ortiz struck out against reliever Adam Ottavino before Napoli flied out.
With two out in the bottom of the fourth, Drew hit a drive that bounced on the top of the center-field wall that was ruled in play, with Drew reaching third. The umpires reviewed it, but o replay was not conclusive. Drew scored on a double by Iglesias.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Mile marker: Londonderry trail’s first step - 0
- Definitely broken: City's winter parking ban - 2
- What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out' - 26
- Closing classrooms: Relief for Webster, Beech Street schools in Manchester.? - 2
- Unwanted professors: How does one get fired at UNH? - 15
- Bumped for Benghazi: A reporter is held accountable - 3
- Dangerous Iran deal: Weakening sanctions is senseless - 2
- Freedom? Thanks for nothing, Obama - 83
- Christmas spirit: For whom do you shop? - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 4
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans