Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox roll over Rockies
Tuesday night was more of the same.
Dempster (5-8, 10 quality starts, tied for the team lead) had received two runs or less of support in eight of his 15 starts, but that wasn’t the case Tuesday. He gave up a solo homer to Wilin Rosario (No. 12, one of his three hits) in the second and an RBI single to Nolan Arenado in the fourth.
Arenado also had three hits, scoring from first on Shane Victorino’s three-base error in the seventh. Carlos Gonzalez’s two-out RBI single greeted reliever Craig Breslow.
Nicasio, who came in 0-2 in six starts since his fourth win on May 19, labored through 64 pitches in the first two innings as the Red Sox, unable to hit with runners in scoring position over the weekend, came through.
Ellsbury opened the first inning with a double, took third on Victorino’s sacrifice bunt and scored on Pedroia’s single. David Ortiz and Mike Napoli both walked and Nava made it 2-0 with a single. Nicasio escaped further trouble, striking out Jarrod Saltalamacchia and getting Stephen Drew to pop out.
But in the bottom of the inning with two out and nobody on, the roof caved in on Nicasio.
With one out in the third, Iglesias, Ellsbury and Victorino singled, and Ellsbury scored on right fielder Michael Cuddyer’s error. Pedroia then had his third RBI hit in as many innings to chase Nicasio. Victorino and Pedroia pulled off a double steal as Ortiz struck out against reliever Adam Ottavino before Napoli flied out.
With two out in the bottom of the fourth, Drew hit a drive that bounced on the top of the center-field wall that was ruled in play, with Drew reaching third. The umpires reviewed it, but o replay was not conclusive. Drew scored on a double by Iglesias.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- I-293: A plan to make it better through Manchester - 4
- Dover’s winter parking ban begins Dec. 1 - 0
- Rockingham Road to reopen Wednesday - 0
- Manchester’s winter parking ban goes into effect Dec. 1 - 0
- Public gets look at new Sarah Long bridge - 1
- In Windham, I-93 work is loud and clear - 0
- Expect delays: Road work on Interstate 93, Route 28 scheduled for this week - 0
- Police warn drivers to watch out for deer on roadways - 0
- Merrimack ramp tolls will stay - 4
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 5
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up