Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox roll over Rockies
Tuesday night was more of the same.
Dempster (5-8, 10 quality starts, tied for the team lead) had received two runs or less of support in eight of his 15 starts, but that wasn’t the case Tuesday. He gave up a solo homer to Wilin Rosario (No. 12, one of his three hits) in the second and an RBI single to Nolan Arenado in the fourth.
Arenado also had three hits, scoring from first on Shane Victorino’s three-base error in the seventh. Carlos Gonzalez’s two-out RBI single greeted reliever Craig Breslow.
Nicasio, who came in 0-2 in six starts since his fourth win on May 19, labored through 64 pitches in the first two innings as the Red Sox, unable to hit with runners in scoring position over the weekend, came through.
Ellsbury opened the first inning with a double, took third on Victorino’s sacrifice bunt and scored on Pedroia’s single. David Ortiz and Mike Napoli both walked and Nava made it 2-0 with a single. Nicasio escaped further trouble, striking out Jarrod Saltalamacchia and getting Stephen Drew to pop out.
But in the bottom of the inning with two out and nobody on, the roof caved in on Nicasio.
With one out in the third, Iglesias, Ellsbury and Victorino singled, and Ellsbury scored on right fielder Michael Cuddyer’s error. Pedroia then had his third RBI hit in as many innings to chase Nicasio. Victorino and Pedroia pulled off a double steal as Ortiz struck out against reliever Adam Ottavino before Napoli flied out.
With two out in the bottom of the fourth, Drew hit a drive that bounced on the top of the center-field wall that was ruled in play, with Drew reaching third. The umpires reviewed it, but o replay was not conclusive. Drew scored on a double by Iglesias.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Police: Body found in Portsmouth creek not missing UNH student - 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown cites NH as example of Obamacare 'trainwreck,' will keynote NHGOP event