Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
Jun 20, 2014
Jun 11, 2014
Derry woman charged with leaving toddlers in hot car
Marie Dennis of Derry is facing charges from allegedly leaving two toddlers in a hot car in the Walmart parking lot on Ashleigh Drive. (Courtesy Photo)
Marie Dennis, 33, of 42 Pond Road, Derry, was arraigned in Derry District Court on Wednesday morning on two counts of second-degree assault, two counts of endangering the welfare of a child, and resisting arrest.
Police and fire personnel responded to a 911 call shortly after 4 p.m. on Tuesday after several people noticed two young, unattended children locked in a green 2001 Mazda Tribute in the Walmart Parking lot on Ashleigh Drive, according to police Captain Vernon Thomas.
"The current temperature was in the mid-90s and the vehicle was parked in the unshaded parking lot with its windows open less than one inch," said Thomas. "Officers noted that the children appeared to be in distress due to the temperature in the vehicle. They were crying, sweating, and had a red color to their faces."
According to witnesses, the two children had been in the vehicle for about 20 minutes.
As emergency workers tried to get into the vehicle, Dennis approached them from the store and unlocked the Mazda with her keys. The children were taken by a medic to a waiting ambulance, according to Thomas and fire department personnel began treating the children at the scene.
The children were then taken to Parkland Medical Center, where they were treated for heat exhaustion and later released to a caretaker, Thomas said.
Dennis struggled with officers trying to arrest her, Thomas added. Her bail was set at $5,000 cash or surety.
Bail conditions include that she has no unsupervised contact with children under the age of 18 and she remains in custody at Rockingham County jail, according to Thomas.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Supreme Court: Indigent woman entitled to state-funded services - 0
- Following drug bust, questions raised about Manchester pizza restaurant - 1
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Fathers of injured teens pleased with order sending back Coco to jail - 0
- Exeter man arraigned in pair of Portsmouth armed robberies - 0
- Pa. man will go to trial for two-state chase - 0
- Arrest made in fake Nashua bomb threat - 0
- Two of Gregory Smart's killers nearing release - 15
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges for Nashua men - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
- Total Votes: 917