Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Derry woman charged with leaving toddlers in hot car
Marie Dennis of Derry is facing charges from allegedly leaving two toddlers in a hot car in the Walmart parking lot on Ashleigh Drive. (Courtesy Photo)
Marie Dennis, 33, of 42 Pond Road, Derry, was arraigned in Derry District Court on Wednesday morning on two counts of second-degree assault, two counts of endangering the welfare of a child, and resisting arrest.
Police and fire personnel responded to a 911 call shortly after 4 p.m. on Tuesday after several people noticed two young, unattended children locked in a green 2001 Mazda Tribute in the Walmart Parking lot on Ashleigh Drive, according to police Captain Vernon Thomas.
"The current temperature was in the mid-90s and the vehicle was parked in the unshaded parking lot with its windows open less than one inch," said Thomas. "Officers noted that the children appeared to be in distress due to the temperature in the vehicle. They were crying, sweating, and had a red color to their faces."
According to witnesses, the two children had been in the vehicle for about 20 minutes.
As emergency workers tried to get into the vehicle, Dennis approached them from the store and unlocked the Mazda with her keys. The children were taken by a medic to a waiting ambulance, according to Thomas and fire department personnel began treating the children at the scene.
The children were then taken to Parkland Medical Center, where they were treated for heat exhaustion and later released to a caretaker, Thomas said.
Dennis struggled with officers trying to arrest her, Thomas added. Her bail was set at $5,000 cash or surety.
Bail conditions include that she has no unsupervised contact with children under the age of 18 and she remains in custody at Rockingham County jail, according to Thomas.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH had 17 homicides in 2014, down from last year - 0
- Two people hospitalized following report of stabbing, police say - 0
- Merrimack teen charged in threats, assaults on girl - 0
- Man arrested after chase that led from Pelham to Lowell, Mass. - 1
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive - 3
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive, assaulted her - 1
- Former Colonial Theatre finance director indicted - 0
- Troy welfare officer indicted for misusing town’s money - 1
- Man arrested for failing to register as sex offender - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 1
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
- School district to receive millions withheld by state - 0
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
Details of Reams inquiry released
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483