$25,000 donated toward rail trail
Larry Belair, who heads the steering committee for the Friends of the Salem Bike-Ped Corridor, told selectmen on Monday night that the Salem Cooperative Bank donated $25,000 of the funds needed to pave the first section of the path.
"It's definitely something residents would like to see happen," Topham said, noting that work crews from Iron Horse are currently removing railroad ties in the area stretching from Old Rockingham Road toward the former Granite State Potato Chip factory.
A third phase would bring the rail trail across Rockingham Park Boulevard, though project planners are still figuring out a way to get pedestrians across the busy intersections safely.
The group is affiliated with the Bike Walk Alliance of N.H.
The Iron Horse group began removing rail ties this past fall, but had to stop for the season when the ground froze in December.About three weeks ago, work on the iron removal resumed, and a recent review with state DOT officials revealed no problems thus far."They were told to keep on going," Topham said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Harrigan: A rare appearance by Mr. Outdoor Answer Man - 0
- Annual Snodeo in Stewartstown draws good crowd, many vendors - 0
- NH native holds lead spot in Iditarod - 0
- Soap 101: Studies in self-reliance - 0
- Trip to college' advanced manufacturing center opens Boy Scouts' eyes to career possibilities - 0
- Dick Pinney's Guidelines: March's arrival brings ideal ice fishing conditions - 0
- High school students want to give the shirts off their backs - 0
- Nashua cadet receives Civil Air Patrol award - 0
- Hooksett teen faces charge of throwing egg at police car - 1
NH native holds lead spot in Iditarod
Win tickets to see Bruno Mars!
Win tickets to see Jillian Michaels
Win tickets to see Cirque du Soleil: Varekai
Blue shame: Obamacare's big change
Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was all about chickens, alleged threats and nocturnal wanderings
Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video
NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?