Home » Sports » College Sports
Brentwood's Carson Cross, the Athlete of the Month, making major strides
Earlier this month, the University of Connecticut redshirt sophomore pitcher from Brentwood was selected in the 24th round of the Major League Baseball first-year player draft by the Pittsburgh Pirates.
The righthander received 25 points from the nine-member Union Leader Board of Judges, nudging Bri Keenan of Greenland, a softball outfielder for Tufts University, and Sydney Strout, a high school softball pitcher from Gilford. Both received 24 points from the judges.
Cross graduated from Exeter High and is the son of Jeff Cross, who was the first former New Hampshire high school player to play in the National Basketball Association. Jeff Cross played in 21 games for the Los Angeles Clippers. His father played for Portsmouth High and the University of Maine.
Strout, a senior left-handed pitcher who had a 10-0 record in May with seven strikeouts, set the Gilford softball program's record for career strikeouts. She struck out 12 during a 4-1 victory over Franklin, giving her 621 strikeouts. Strout had a 10-0 record in May, with seven shutouts. She tossed a no-hitter with 18 strikeouts in a 3-0 first round playoff win against Prospect Mountain of Alton.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Outrage du jour Garcia, Sullivan and victimhood - 30
- Cyber Monday alarm: The sales tax monster rises - 7
- Mile marker: Londonderry trail’s first step - 0
- Definitely broken: City's winter parking ban - 2
- What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out' - 26
- Closing classrooms: Relief for Webster, Beech Street schools in Manchester.? - 2
- Unwanted professors: How does one get fired at UNH? - 15
- Bumped for Benghazi: A reporter is held accountable - 3
- Dangerous Iran deal: Weakening sanctions is senseless - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 0
Science, art combine for cancer fundraiser
Fourth-graders ‘experience’ Ellis Island
Copper stolen from old Salem school
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Two in Keene robbed at home
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Judge rules to keep officers on Laurie list