Home » Sports » College Sports
Brentwood's Carson Cross, the Athlete of the Month, making major strides
Earlier this month, the University of Connecticut redshirt sophomore pitcher from Brentwood was selected in the 24th round of the Major League Baseball first-year player draft by the Pittsburgh Pirates.
The righthander received 25 points from the nine-member Union Leader Board of Judges, nudging Bri Keenan of Greenland, a softball outfielder for Tufts University, and Sydney Strout, a high school softball pitcher from Gilford. Both received 24 points from the judges.
Cross graduated from Exeter High and is the son of Jeff Cross, who was the first former New Hampshire high school player to play in the National Basketball Association. Jeff Cross played in 21 games for the Los Angeles Clippers. His father played for Portsmouth High and the University of Maine.
Strout, a senior left-handed pitcher who had a 10-0 record in May with seven strikeouts, set the Gilford softball program's record for career strikeouts. She struck out 12 during a 4-1 victory over Franklin, giving her 621 strikeouts. Strout had a 10-0 record in May, with seven shutouts. She tossed a no-hitter with 18 strikeouts in a 3-0 first round playoff win against Prospect Mountain of Alton.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- 600 gather for New Horizons soup kitchen, shelter fundraiser - 0
- Conn. school shooting probe ends with gunman's motives unknown - 43
- Railway company proposing Montreal to Portland service through northern NH - 19
- Exeter theater group suspends campaign to save Ioka - 0
- Stained-glass windows get new look at Tucker Free Library in Henniker - 0
- State Supreme Court overturns termination of father’s parental rights - 8
- Communication director appointed for Manchester Diocese - 0
- 'Everything flows' from 1st Amendment - 2
- Editor: Open access to government 'keeps us free' - 2
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Police: Body found in Portsmouth creek not missing UNH student - 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 2
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown cites NH as example of Obamacare 'trainwreck,' will keynote NHGOP event