NH camp directors take lightning 'very, very seriously'
"We called off a trip today because of (weather) concerns," camp director Danny Kerr said Tuesday.Thunderstorms are a possibility every day through July 3 for parts of New Hampshire, according to AccuWeather.com.
The Lakes Region camp has a wooden structure at the waterfront to shelter the kids, Planchet said.
"When it comes to thunderstorms ... I don't want to see anyone outside," Planchet said. "You can have even a small thunderstorm and you can still get a bolt of lightning come out of nowhere. We're very cautious."Kerr doesn't expect Monday night's lightning strike at the Boy Scout camp in Gilmanton to trigger any changes at the camp in the White Mountains. On the day that campers arrive, they are told about the camp's warning system, which calls for campers to be sheltered during storms.
"We never have anyone outside if we think there's any chance of severe weather," he said. "We have people who monitor those things and we take it very, very seriously."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Powerful storm lashes eastern U.S. with snow, arctic cold - 0
- Forecasters say true to form, March will come in like a lion - 0
- NWS: North Country flooding risk near normal for now - 0
- Device may help solve weighty problem - 0
- Frequent snowstorms taking a toll on Manchester's plowing budget - 1
- After-school activities canceled in New Boston, Goffstown and Dunbarton - 0
- Pembroke extends parking ban - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 1
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Hockey: Teams anxious to play - 0
- Manchester Mayor Gatsas: Vote tells me Hooksett is satisfied with Manchester schools - 4
- After Pinkerton rejection, what's next for Hooksett students? - 1
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal