NH camp directors take lightning 'very, very seriously'
"We called off a trip today because of (weather) concerns," camp director Danny Kerr said Tuesday.Thunderstorms are a possibility every day through July 3 for parts of New Hampshire, according to AccuWeather.com.
The Lakes Region camp has a wooden structure at the waterfront to shelter the kids, Planchet said.
"When it comes to thunderstorms ... I don't want to see anyone outside," Planchet said. "You can have even a small thunderstorm and you can still get a bolt of lightning come out of nowhere. We're very cautious."Kerr doesn't expect Monday night's lightning strike at the Boy Scout camp in Gilmanton to trigger any changes at the camp in the White Mountains. On the day that campers arrive, they are told about the camp's warning system, which calls for campers to be sheltered during storms.
"We never have anyone outside if we think there's any chance of severe weather," he said. "We have people who monitor those things and we take it very, very seriously."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- For most, no choice but to hit the roads for stormy holiday travel - 3
- Coast Guard issues weather warning to coastal boaters - 0
- Coast Guard issues weather warning to boaters - 0
- Man crushed by wind-felled tree in Laconia as powerful winds follow frigid air; thousands without power - 0
- Slick roads eyed for holiday - 0
- Granite Staters arrived in Philippines just after typhoon hit - 0
- Granite Staters fly out to Phillipines to help after typhoon - 0
- Strong winds cut power to thousands across New Hampshire - 0
- State acts to shore up Gorham dam - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies at 95 - 0
- Fire scene closes Goffstown's Paige Hill Road - 0
- Gas tax increase would be tied to consumer price index - 3
- Dingman granted conditional parole - 5
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Manchester gas station burglarized - 0
- Conn. tractor-trailer driver charged in Manchester hit and run - 2
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans - 10
- Goffstown man held in Triangle Credit Union robbery, burglaries - 0
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans