All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

Relative of Belmont homicide victims still in jail on $200 bail

Union Leader Correspondent

June 24. 2013 6:55PM

Shawn Carter 

BELMONT — The man whose brother and mother were hacked to death in a May 24 double-homicide at his former home at 20 Sunset Drive was still being held in a Belknap County jail cell Monday.

Though he has at least one other family member living in the area, Shawn Carter, 31, has not been able to make his $200 bail since he was arrested that day on a driving-after-suspension charge — the only charge keeping him from his freedom.

Carter has not been named as a suspect in the double-homicides of his mother, Priscilla Carter, 59, and his brother, Timothy Carter, 39. State homicide investigators say they do not comment on potential suspects in homicide investigations.

“No one has been arrested for the homicides. The case is still being actively investigated,” Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Strelzin said Monday.

Carter was arrested, though, about three hours after his family members’ were discovered after police had issued a be-on-the-lookout or bolo alert calling for his detention in relation to the state investigation in Belmont that morning. The bolo alert warned that Carter was armed and dangerous.

During a June 11, court trial on the traffic charge, Carter’s lawyer, public defender Jesse Friedman, demanded that state investigators provide details of why Carter was stopped shortly after 2 p.m. on the day of the murders by Tilton and Belmont police, and of why he was turned over to state police after his arrest and then just held on the traffic charge and its accompanying $200 bail.

Judge Ned Gordon continued the trial on the traffic charge to July 12 at 1:30 p.m., ordering the state to provide further information to Friedman by that time.

Gordon also refused to increase Carter’s bail after the state brought a new charge against him — for allegedly selling cocaine to an undercover officer in March of 2012 — on the morning of the trial on the traffic charge. No court dates have been set for further hearings on that charge, court officials said Monday.

Asked Monday whether the state had yet provided additional information on the traffic stop, Friedman would only say “no comment.”

Carter’s sister, Kelley McGray, could not be reached for comment Monday, but Priscilla Carter’s uncle, Rodney Wing, of Jacksonville, Fla., said the Carter family and their relatives do not want to speak about the case at the moment.

“Not with all that’s going on, we don’t have anything to say,” Wing said.

Wing said he had fond memories of Priscilla Carter as a child, and of Timothy Carter as a teenager. He said Priscilla, his niece, was, “just a nice, hard-working woman,” and said he mostly remembered Timothy for being unemployed as an adult.

He was asked if his family could supply photos and remembrances of the mother and son.

“I don’t think so at this time,” he said.

The funeral home handling the deaths of Priscilla and Timothy Carter, Wilkinson-Beane-Simoneau-Paquette Funeral Home in Laconia, said the Carter family had told the home that they would hold a private service and no obituary had been prepared for local distribution.

Crime, law and justice Belmont

More Headlines