Home » News » Public Safety
NH Ham radio operators participate in Field Day
But an hour or so into the drill, power strips starting smoking and the generator went down. And that cut into the second part of Field Day, the competitive part that all hams really enjoy. Groups have 24 hours to see how many official contacts they can make with other operators throughout the country. Last Field Day, the Granite State hams logged about 500 successful connections.
"I don't talk very much, I like to listen," said Merrill. "It's about all the contacts you make and the people you meet."
Hams bring a wide range of experience and knowledge to the hobby. Some have years of professional experience as electrical engineers and others came from completely unrelated backgrounds in sales or management.
A lot of operators really enjoy seeing how far the simplest radios will take them as the travel the air waves.
And hams hope that might bring new people with new ideas into the hobby.
"We always welcome new members," said French. "We're the original social network."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Driver was trying to kill himself
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072