Home » News » Public Safety
NH Ham radio operators participate in Field Day
But an hour or so into the drill, power strips starting smoking and the generator went down. And that cut into the second part of Field Day, the competitive part that all hams really enjoy. Groups have 24 hours to see how many official contacts they can make with other operators throughout the country. Last Field Day, the Granite State hams logged about 500 successful connections.
"I don't talk very much, I like to listen," said Merrill. "It's about all the contacts you make and the people you meet."
Hams bring a wide range of experience and knowledge to the hobby. Some have years of professional experience as electrical engineers and others came from completely unrelated backgrounds in sales or management.
A lot of operators really enjoy seeing how far the simplest radios will take them as the travel the air waves.
And hams hope that might bring new people with new ideas into the hobby.
"We always welcome new members," said French. "We're the original social network."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain