MANCHESTER — Authorities expect to make an "initial determination" in the case of a deadly shooting that took place during a home invasion earlier this month, a homicide investigator said.
Michael Larocque Jr., 24, was killed by a resident after he and another intruder reportedly kicked in the door of an apartment at 430 Lake Ave. and rushed at the resident. The other intruder fled.
"I expect we will have an initial determination in a week or two," said Jeffery Strelzin, chief of the homicide unit at the New Hampshire Attorney General's Office. He said a report would name the shooter, who has yet to be publicly identified.New Hampshire law, which is nicknamed the Castle Doctrine, allows anyone to use deadly force if he believes an intruder is likely to use unlawful force in the commission of a crime within his home or on his property.
The resident's fiancee and her 3-year-old daughter were in the apartment at the time of the shooting, police have said. They have said in the past that they did not believe the home invasion was random.
Strelzin said two investigations are actually underway, one relating to the shooting, another to the home invasion. He said a suspect has not been arrested in the home invasion. The shooting took place in the early morning hours of June 9.
Meanwhile, Strelzin said the Lake Avenue shooting is not related to a homicide that took place at Pine and Prospect streets.
Mark Donnelly, 31, was killed May 18. Witnesses said he was approached by a man in a car and shot shortly after Donnelly and friends made fun of a woman who was panhandling. Donnelly apparently told the man he would fight him, then shots rang out.
Donnelly, the father of two girls, was described by friends and loved ones as a talented graffiti artist.
Characteristically, Strelzin would not discuss specifics of the case and whether police have a suspect.
"I'm comfortable with the investigation," he said. "The Manchester Police Department has put a lot of resources into it and they've made a lot of headway."