NH boaters warned to watch out for loons
A loon in a raft nest put on Lake Winnipesaukee last year by Loon Preservation Committee volunteers and staff. (COURTESY PHOTO)
The peak of the hatching period of loon chicks usually occurs around the Fourth of July, at the same time that the lakes are busy with holiday boaters, said Harry Vogel, senior biologist and executive director of the committee.
"It's bad timing," Vogel said. "It's nesting season, and one of the biggest challenges loons face is the heavy number of lake users."
Last year, committee biologists recorded 188 pairs of nesting loons on New Hampshire lakes. They also recorded 99 "failed" nests, Vogel said. Loon nests fail because of human disturbance, predation or water-level changes.
"The first one is too many," he said.
Loon nests are generally made of matted grasses and twigs, built near the water level along shorelines. They like to nest near islands or in coves on shorelines.
• Boaters (and shore walkers) should stay back at least 150 feet from a nesting loon, further back if the loon shows any signs of distress, such as craning its neck low over a nest. Loons may even appear to be injured or dead while in this head-down position, but it is simply a response to the close approach of people, according to the committee.
Loons are a threatened species in New Hampshire and are protected by state and federal laws from hunting or harassment, including flushing loons from nests. Anyone observing harassment of loons can contact New Hampshire Fish and Game Department at 271-3361 or the Marine Patrol at 293-2037.
- KORN Take On The 'Haters' With New Fan-assisted Video - 0
- Proposed Hike Safe Card Rule Hearing Set for September 8 - 0
- Mr. Mac's announces a new fundraiser program - 0
- Loeb School Seeks 1st Amendment Award Nominees - 0
- Loeb School offers Public Speaking Workshop Sept 13th - 0
- Conservation Officers and OHRV Safety Instructor Honored - 0
- Ted Nugent wraps up summer 'SHUTUP&JAM!' Tour with Sold-Out Concert benefitting The 'Show Of Support Memorial' For Our Troops - 0
- Folk legend John Gorka live in concert at the Peterborough Players Theatre - 0
- Goffstown resident obtains driveway permit waiver, but still questions practice - 0
Billy Ray Cyrus joins Dave Stewart, Martina McBride and an all-star crowd for 'The Beatles' 50th at the Bowl' Aug. 22-24 at the Hollywood BowlREADER COMMENTS: 0
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Poll: Brown makes gains on Sen. Shaheen
NH business taxes among highest, study finds
Market Basket: Analysts point to debt
AG asked to investigate Hemingway campaign donations after complaint filed by Grantham attorney with Sununu ties