Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Mite not be best idea to live on light, cheese
Our back page last week carried the odd story of a Seattle woman who has given up trying to live on light and a bit of tea "with a splash of milk."
Gives a whole new meaning to the term "light lunch," doesn't it? I must have been out golfing when this new trend began. It is called "breatharianism" and it is a belief that sunshine can substitute for food. Coincidentally, the woman's last name is Shine.
But wait, there's more.
Little Ms. Shine, age 65, has given up on her project in part because she has run out of money.
She might try living on cheese. I hear some varieties have plenty of protein.
U.S. cheese lovers are upset with the government banning certain French cheeses because, the feds say, the cheese has too many mites.
That's mites, as in little bugs crawling around in the rounds. But the cheese sellers say the mites are a necessary part of the cheese.
Ms. Shine said it wasn't just a lack of money that made her turn off her light diet. She also cited public reaction.
I'm not afraid to ask questions. Here is one: Now that medicinal marijuana is coming to New Hampshire, can joint sessions of the Legislature be far behind?
One more: Will Cap'n Crunch be promoted? Turns out the little guy on the cereal box has been wearing a uniform with not enough stripes to qualify for captaincy. The country is going to heck, I fear.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Freedom is not free; you've got to fight for it - 0
- Michael C. Whitney: A small gas tax hike would be good for business - 5
- Jonah Goldberg: In the case of My Brother's Keeper, race does, and should, matter - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The NH Senate's Medicaid trap - 0
- Rep. William Butynski: A casino gambling plan that works for NH - 3
- George Will: Misreading Putin, and history - 4
- Rep. Kenneth Fredette: NH should avoid Maine’s Medicaid mistake - 5
- David Harsanyi: Social conservatives would benefit by embracing libertarianism - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 0
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth, PSU hit road for tourneys - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: North beats Memorial, advances in hockey tourney - 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Campbell, Bergeon roll into quarterfinals - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Several union deals on Windham ballots
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax