Ian Clark's On Baseball: Conway product not a Locke for All-Star game
If the question is, does the rookie pitcher with the Pittsburgh Pirates deserve to make the All-Star roster for the National League, then that answer would be yes.
Locke made his big league debut in 2011, going 0-3 with a 6.48 ERA. In 2012, Locke appeared in eight games, going 1-3 with a 5.50 ERA.
"We call them survivors here initially when guys get up (to the majors). Then we look for them to turn that corner and become competitors, and then the last stage is a winner," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle told bucsdugout.com earlier this month. "I think we've seen Jeff grow out of that surviving stage. I think he's right in the middle of the competing stage now."
Locke, who pitched at Kennett High in Conway, also put together several strings of scoreless innings, going 13 without allowing a run in April, 18 1/3 in May and currently has thrown 14 frames of shutout ball.
Each team is only guaranteed one spot on the roster and Pittsburgh outfielder Andrew McCutchen is the likely candidate for the Pirates. He was seventh in fan voting for outfielders and is a two-time all-star, which always seems to carry some weight.
Locke's next scheduled start is set for Tuesday against Seattle as the Pirates are on a west coast road trip.
According to Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak, Carpenter's rehab will be put on hold.
Carpenter is 144-94 with a 3.76 ERA in his career, won the 2005 NL Cy Young award and has two World Series championships. But injuries have plagued Carpenter throughout his career.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bucks snap skid at 11, top Celtics - 0
- Green, Celtics blow out Cavs - 0
- Celtics late rally falls short - 0
- Crawford, Celtics ease past Bobcats - 0
- Celtics top Hawks to halt six-game skid - 0
- Spurs top Celtics to extend win streak - 0
- Timberwolves hand Celtics third straight loss - 0
- Aldridge double-double sends Celtics to loss - 0
- Warning sign saves former St. A hoop coach Clifford - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840