Ian Clark's On Baseball: Conway product not a Locke for All-Star game
If the question is, does the rookie pitcher with the Pittsburgh Pirates deserve to make the All-Star roster for the National League, then that answer would be yes.
Locke made his big league debut in 2011, going 0-3 with a 6.48 ERA. In 2012, Locke appeared in eight games, going 1-3 with a 5.50 ERA.
"We call them survivors here initially when guys get up (to the majors). Then we look for them to turn that corner and become competitors, and then the last stage is a winner," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle told bucsdugout.com earlier this month. "I think we've seen Jeff grow out of that surviving stage. I think he's right in the middle of the competing stage now."
Locke, who pitched at Kennett High in Conway, also put together several strings of scoreless innings, going 13 without allowing a run in April, 18 1/3 in May and currently has thrown 14 frames of shutout ball.
Each team is only guaranteed one spot on the roster and Pittsburgh outfielder Andrew McCutchen is the likely candidate for the Pirates. He was seventh in fan voting for outfielders and is a two-time all-star, which always seems to carry some weight.
Locke's next scheduled start is set for Tuesday against Seattle as the Pirates are on a west coast road trip.
According to Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak, Carpenter's rehab will be put on hold.
Carpenter is 144-94 with a 3.76 ERA in his career, won the 2005 NL Cy Young award and has two World Series championships. But injuries have plagued Carpenter throughout his career.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Johnson honored for sixth NASCAR title - 0
- Kilpatrick leads UNH women past Dartmouth - 0
- UNH, Dartmouth football players named All-New England - 0
- Manchester Monarchs beat Portland Pirates in shootout - 0
- Wildcats shut down Black Bears again - 1
- U.S. preparing for grueling World Cup - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
New Hampshire Senior News Notes
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840