Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
Blackhawks beat Bruins, take 3-2 lead in Stanley Cup final
The best-of-seven series now shifts to Boston for Game Six on Monday with the Blackhawks holding a 3-2 lead and the Bruins needing a victory to extend the series.
Kane scored the only goal in each of the first two periods to put Chicago ahead 2-0 before the Bruins' defenseman Zdeno Chara pulled one back early in the third.
Chicago's Dave Bolland, however, ended the threat of overtime as the Bruins desperately pressed for an equalizer and he scored into an empty net with 14 seconds to play.
Blackhawks netminder Corey Crawford, who had been criticised for his shaky play in Game Four, was razor-sharp making 24 saves.
After a rollicking 6-5 shootout in Game Four, the teams returned to the close-checking, punishing style seen earlier in the series and both team's paid a high price, losing key players to bone-jarring hits.
Boston's Patrice Bergeron, their leading scorer with four goals, exited in the second period and was later taken to hospital with an unspecified injury.
Chicago captain Jonathan Toews, who assisted on the Blackhawks' first two goals, also did not play in the third period after taking a thundering hit from the Bruins' Johnny Boychuk as he cut across the Boston goalmouth.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 46
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 1
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 13
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 2
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child