Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Tigers blast Webster, Sox
Scherzer (11-0) won his fourth consecutive start and took over the major-league lead in victories, overcoming a shaky first to hold the Red Sox to two runs on six hits in seven innings. He struck out six and became the first pitcher to fan at least six batters in 15 straight starts since Boston's Pedro Martinez in 2000.
Omar Infante added a two-run homer and Austin Jackson, Torii Hunter and Andy Dirks collected three hits apiece as the Tigers rebounded from Friday's 10-6 defeat to improve to 6-1 against Boston in the last seven games at Comerica Park.
David Ortiz hit a solo homer - his 16th - in the first inning to stake the Red Sox to a 2-0 lead, but Detroit answered in the bottom of the frame against rookie Allen Webster (0-2), putting the first three runners aboard before Martinez cleared the bases one out later for his third career grand slam.
Scherzer kept Boston scoreless over the next six frames to join George Mullin (1909) as the only Detroit pitchers to start 11-0. Webster, called up from Triple-A Pawtucket earlier in the day to make his third career start, was roughed up for five runs on eight hits in 4 [1/3] innings.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Scherzer, who entered 1-3 lifetime against Boston, improved to 17-1 in his last 26 regular-season starts dating to last year. ... Ortiz's first-inning blast was his 18th at Comerica Park - the most by any Detroit opponent. ... Red Sox rookie 3B Jose Iglesias had a pair of hits to hike his batting average to .438 and extend his streak of reaching base to 25 straight games.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 2
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats need to avoid the drama - 0
- Brady to suspicious Texan: Pats 'just played better' - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not half bad - 0
- Eagles’ Kelly amps up support for Foles - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way (again) - 0
- For Patriots, an imperfect victory over Houston - 0
- NH's Griffin settling into NFL with Texans - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Driver was trying to kill himself