Gill Stadium, 1914: 'Who's this Ruth guy?'
This visit, however, was very different from the previous one.
And unlike the previous year, no one in the crowd was excited about the Red Sox' starting pitcher.
George Herman Ruth was 19 and in his first professional season in 1914, having begun the year with Baltimore of the International League. On July 19, Baltimore sold his contract to the Red Sox, and on July 11, he made his major-league debut, earning the win in a 4-3 victory over Cleveland.
The host team — the Manchester Textiles, led by former Red Sox manager Fred Lake and competing at a level equivalent to today's Double-A (the same as Manchester's current professional team, the New Hampshire Fisher Cats) — was hardly overwhelmed.
The following day, the Manchester Union (predecessor of the New Hampshire Union Leader) reported: "George Ruth, the youthful left hander recently purchased from the Baltimore club, was on the firing line for the Sox and was touched up freely by the home talent, 10 hits being secured off his delivery, five of these coming in the seventh inning when Fred Lake's players scored their brace of runs."
That would be his last trip to the minors. In 1915, he won 18 games for the Red Sox, winners of that year's World Series. The year after that, he won 23 and the Sox defended their title. He won 24 in 1917 and set a World Series record for consecutive scoreless innings in 1918 as Boston won yet another championship.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- No. 1 UConn women rout No. 2 Duke - 0
- Patriots’ Wilfork maintains he’ll be back - 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 3
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 1
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840