Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
Jun 20, 2014
Jun 11, 2014
Appeal of police sting verdict possible
Alexander Ramasci of Manchester was arrested last year for theft of lost or mislaid property during a Manchester Police sting operation at a South Willow Street shopping plaza. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
On Thursday, Alexander Ramasci was found innocent of a misdemeanor charge of theft of lost or mislaid property. Manchester police arrested him in a sting operation, after he removed a purse and merchandise from a shopping cart that police had placed in the T.J. Maxx parking lot on South Willow Street.
In his order, District Court Judge William Lyons said Ramasci could not be convicted because the purse and merchandise were not actually lost or mislaid.
Meanwhile, the New Hamsphire Liquor Commission did not return a telephone call about Ramasci's employment. He worked as a sales clerk for the Liquor Commission, but was told not to come into work after his arrest.
Police actions in the case have drawn criticism on-line, with many questioning the tactic or its need.
Willard described the sting operation as victim-oriented policing.
And he said shopping-cart thefts are a problem. Two months ago, an 84-year-old woman had her purse with $400 stolen from the produce section of a supermarket, he noted. Police made an arrest after publicizing a surveillance photo of the theft.
"Sorry, but being direct sometimes is necessary, and I'm not the only one who feels that way," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Supreme Court: Indigent woman entitled to state-funded services - 0
- Following drug bust, questions raised about Manchester pizza restaurant - 1
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Fathers of injured teens pleased with order sending back Coco to jail - 0
- Exeter man arraigned in pair of Portsmouth armed robberies - 0
- Pa. man will go to trial for two-state chase - 0
- Arrest made in fake Nashua bomb threat - 0
- Two of Gregory Smart's killers nearing release - 15
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges for Nashua men - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
- Total Votes: 917