Dec 19, 2013
Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Appeal of police sting verdict possible
On Thursday, Alexander Ramasci was found innocent of a misdemeanor charge of theft of lost or mislaid property. Manchester police arrested him in a sting operation, after he removed a purse and merchandise from a shopping cart that police had placed in the T.J. Maxx parking lot on South Willow Street.
In his order, District Court Judge William Lyons said Ramasci could not be convicted because the purse and merchandise were not actually lost or mislaid.
Meanwhile, the New Hamsphire Liquor Commission did not return a telephone call about Ramasci's employment. He worked as a sales clerk for the Liquor Commission, but was told not to come into work after his arrest.
Police actions in the case have drawn criticism on-line, with many questioning the tactic or its need.
Willard described the sting operation as victim-oriented policing.
And he said shopping-cart thefts are a problem. Two months ago, an 84-year-old woman had her purse with $400 stolen from the produce section of a supermarket, he noted. Police made an arrest after publicizing a surveillance photo of the theft.
"Sorry, but being direct sometimes is necessary, and I'm not the only one who feels that way," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 6
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 4
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- Page Restaurant owners agree to pay $4,000 as part of plea deal - 0
- Driver arrested after nearly hitting Canaan police chief - 0
- Police say man attacked woman with sword - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 1
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424