Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Locke great again in Bucs' loss
After all, perfection is a difficult act to sustain.
They left the bases loaded twice, including in the sixth when Locke, a Kennett of Conway product, came to the plate with one out against Reds starter Bronson Arroyo. Locke, who had thrown 81 pitches, grounded out, and Starling Marte also failed to collect a key RBI hit.
Not only did Hurdle want to save his bullpen, but 72 games into the season, Locke trails only Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw in the National League with a 2.01 ERA.
Locke threw seven scoreless innings against the Reds on Wednesday, allowing four hits. He walked three and struck out three.
To work out of one of his few jams, Locke froze Todd Frazier with a 91 mph inside fastball in the fourth inning.
Locke did not hit a batter, but the Reds hit two more Pirates. Jordy Mercer was hit in the back by a 96 mph Alfredo Simon fastball in the eighth, and Russell Martin was plunked in the back by Arroyo’s 88 mph fastball in the fifth.
Locke’s curveball has added sharpness; his strikeouts have picked up in recent starts, with 31 in his last 36-2/3 innings.
For example, most pitchers are careful and tentative when pitching to Reds slugger Joey Votto. But in the sixth inning, Martin had Locke challenge Votto with four straight fastballs located on the middle-inside portion of the strike zone. Votto grounded out to second.
The was all the scoring until Bruce’s homer.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: A case for containing Iran - 0
- New Hampshire's long-term health continues to decline - 8
- Lou Catano: Non-profit directors know that NH is a special, giving place - 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 13
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 10
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Dingman granted conditional parole - 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Manchester gas station burglarized - 0
- Conn. tractor-trailer driver charged in Manchester hit and run - 1
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans - 10
- Goffstown man held in Triangle Credit Union robbery, burglaries - 0
- 2 Bay State men arrested for Peterborough credit union robbery - 1
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 13
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans