New Queen City building for veterans aims at July 1 for first residents
Harbor Homes hosted an official ribbon-cutting ceremony last week for the BAE Systems Independence Hall at 335 Somerville St.
"We try to assist any way possible to get them back on their feet so that they can become independent," said Jean Melvin, program manager for Independence Hall.
Construction on the building began last June and was completed in less than a year.
The ceremonial opening was last Friday, when Mayor Ted Gatsas and BAE Systems representatives were among the dignitaries gathered for the cutting of the ribbon.
"It was touching them. You could see how people were nodding their heads and acknowledging. I think it impacted the crowd," she said. "It just kind of opens your eyes to the challenges and experience when they get back."
Because it's a brand-new facility, there are a few matters still to be finalized before the facility can start taking in residents.
For more information, go to harborhomes.org/
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thank a veteran on Saturday at Holderness barbecue - 0
- Theatre Under the Stars honors 'The Bard,' local fallen soldier - 0
- Family of World War I vet receives Purple Heart medal in ceremony - 0
- Struggle of returning female veterans is showcased in film playing July 29 - 0
- Mt. Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce soars - 0
- $17.6b request seeks to cover more efficient veteran care - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH veterans program targeted by 'baffling bureaucratic decision' - 0
- Nashua court gives veterans a fighting chance - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH
Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee