Parents, student aid agencies seeking answers after court's scholarship ruling
The two scholarship organizations the state approved to dole out the money say they will proceed with granting scholarships to students who plan to attend non-religious schools if a court doesn’t put the decision on hold until the state Supreme Court hears a promised appeal from the state Attorney General’s Office.
Nichols, who pays more than $12,000 in yearly tuition to Bishop Guertin High School, said she was “furious” with the judge’s decision.
Nichols applied to The Network for Educational Opportunity in Concord, a scholarship organization that raised about $250,000 for scholarships from 10 businesses, including about $120,000 in the final week before last week’s deadline, said Executive Director Kate Baker.
She said 1,018 students applied for scholarships and she estimated about three-quarters could be tied to religious schools. Baker said a child’s school choice and the cost of tuition are not factored into the decision-making practice.
The average values of all scholarships awarded by a scholarship organization can’t exceed $2,500.
“Absent a stay of the Court’s decision, we will therefore be required by the tight calendar requirements of this new law and this very restrictive decision to limit our upcoming awards to individuals who are not exercising their rights to take advantage of one of the many fine programs offered in NH by religiously affiliated schools,” said a statement released Wednesday.
“It’s a complicated question and one of first impression for New Hampshire, so it makes sense for the New Hampshire Supreme Court to weigh in on these issues,” Head said.
“Our organization is founded on faith and we intend to support faith-based schools,” she said.
In a statement released after the court decision, the New Hampshire Democratic Party called the ruling “a victory for local schools, public education in New Hampshire, as well as Granite State students and their parents.”
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Diocese of Manchester's journey of faith - 0
- Christ Church in Exeter gets grant for Cuba work - 0
- Parishioners mourn death of longtime priest at St. Hedwig in Manchester - 0
- All Saints' Episcopal picks a new rector - 0
- New rabbi joins Temple Israel of Portsmouth - 0
- Granite Staters set sights on Quebec pilgrimage - 0
- Pope begs forgiveness for 'sacrilegious cult' of Church sex abuse - 0
- Sudan releases Ibrahim, but insists she stay there - 0
- Emergency preparedness class offered for churches - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 1
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 1
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Market Basket community waits and watches
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride