Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events'
However, Sean Joyce, deputy director of the FBI, divulged some recently declassified information about two foiled domestic plots.
In May 2010 he pleaded guilty to providing material support to a terrorist organization. He admitted sending more than $23,000 to al-Qaida and performing "other tasks" for the group, The Star reported.
"And this was the plot that was in the very initial stages of plotting to bomb the New York Stock Exchange," he said. "We were able to disrupt the plot, we were able to lure some individuals to the United States, and we were able to effect their arrest. And they were convicted for this terrorist activity."
Joyce said the FBI investigated the man shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks but didn't find any connection to terrorist activity.
With further electronic surveillance, approved by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, Joyce said the FBI was able to identify the man's co-conspirators "and we were able to disrupt this terrorist activity."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 43
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 1
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 13
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'
- Has your impression of President Obama's leadership changed as a result of his handling of the Syrian crisis?
- More Positive
- More Negative
- Total Votes: 1661