Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children
ROCHESTER – As part of an ongoing initiative to reduce truancy in public schools, including a student who missed more than 250 days, six local parents must appear in court next month.
Police issued summons for the following residents: Dana Huntress, 42, of 20 Columbus Ave., No. 201, for four counts of compulsory attendance, and Michelle Palmquist, 41, of 91 England Road, for two counts of compulsory attendance. Also receiving summons were Christine Georgiou, 33, of 11 Lighthouse Lane, Leslie Leary, 44, of 11 Olde Farm Lane, No. 4, Carol Ludlow, 48, of 11 Yale St., Apt. A, and John Moffett, 45, of 35 Pine St., Apt. 1, for one count of compulsory attendance.
The parents are scheduled to appear for an arraignment in 7th Circuit Court, Rochester District Division, July 15 at 8 a.m.
Police plan to issue summons to two other parents once they are located.
Parents could be required to pay up to a $1,000 fine or choose to take part in a diversion program that requires they attend four hour-long classes with their child.
Police and school officials decided to implement the program as unexcused absences are on the rise for students in kindergarten through grade 12 in the city.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 46
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 1
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 13
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 9
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Do you like the new University of New Hampshire logo?
- Total Votes: 383