Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children
ROCHESTER – As part of an ongoing initiative to reduce truancy in public schools, including a student who missed more than 250 days, six local parents must appear in court next month.
Police issued summons for the following residents: Dana Huntress, 42, of 20 Columbus Ave., No. 201, for four counts of compulsory attendance, and Michelle Palmquist, 41, of 91 England Road, for two counts of compulsory attendance. Also receiving summons were Christine Georgiou, 33, of 11 Lighthouse Lane, Leslie Leary, 44, of 11 Olde Farm Lane, No. 4, Carol Ludlow, 48, of 11 Yale St., Apt. A, and John Moffett, 45, of 35 Pine St., Apt. 1, for one count of compulsory attendance.
The parents are scheduled to appear for an arraignment in 7th Circuit Court, Rochester District Division, July 15 at 8 a.m.
Police plan to issue summons to two other parents once they are located.
Parents could be required to pay up to a $1,000 fine or choose to take part in a diversion program that requires they attend four hour-long classes with their child.
Police and school officials decided to implement the program as unexcused absences are on the rise for students in kindergarten through grade 12 in the city.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Sugar Hill eyes money to fight Northern Pass - 1
- Natural gas bills almost double - 5
- Fuller Oil customers frustrated once more - 13
- Support for solar project in Monadnock Region sought - 0
- Iberdrola must file new application for Wild Meadows project - 1
- Heating pellets prove to be in short supply in NH - 13
- Wind farm firm puts application on hold to address safety issues at Groton site - 5
- Groton resident settles with wind farm company - 0
- Advertising campaign pushes for underground Northern Pass - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH hires former Attorney General Delaney to investigate reporting delays on athletic improprieties - 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 4
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal