Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children
ROCHESTER – As part of an ongoing initiative to reduce truancy in public schools, including a student who missed more than 250 days, six local parents must appear in court next month.
Police issued summons for the following residents: Dana Huntress, 42, of 20 Columbus Ave., No. 201, for four counts of compulsory attendance, and Michelle Palmquist, 41, of 91 England Road, for two counts of compulsory attendance. Also receiving summons were Christine Georgiou, 33, of 11 Lighthouse Lane, Leslie Leary, 44, of 11 Olde Farm Lane, No. 4, Carol Ludlow, 48, of 11 Yale St., Apt. A, and John Moffett, 45, of 35 Pine St., Apt. 1, for one count of compulsory attendance.
The parents are scheduled to appear for an arraignment in 7th Circuit Court, Rochester District Division, July 15 at 8 a.m.
Police plan to issue summons to two other parents once they are located.
Parents could be required to pay up to a $1,000 fine or choose to take part in a diversion program that requires they attend four hour-long classes with their child.
Police and school officials decided to implement the program as unexcused absences are on the rise for students in kindergarten through grade 12 in the city.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
- Bottle store blues: The useless grocery mandate - 2
- Finding city revenue: Seek more private partners - 0
- Putin's freedom: Obama's weakness - 42
- Safe seats, frequent flyers - 0
- Sports volunteers: Eric Mommsen embodies the spirit - 0
- Issa drops in: Doesn't match media slant - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 7
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief