Mar 12, 2014
Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme
CONCORD — A man accused of running a mortgage scam that bilked dozens of people into believing they were saving their homes, while prosecutors allege he pocketed $13 million in loan proceeds, was to plead guilty Tuesday, but he changed his mind.
The case of Michael T. Prieto, charged with mail fraud and money laundering, was continued for trial July 23 in U.S. District Court after the plea did not take place, according to the clerk of court's office.
According to an indictment, from 2005 through 2008, Prieto convinced homeowners struggling with mortgage payments to pay him rent on their homes in exchange for their deeds. They had an option to buy back their home in two years.
Unknown to the homeowners, Prieto allegedly used straw purchasers to take out new mortgages totaling more than $13 million on the properties through his various companies located on Elm Street in downtown Manchester.
According to the indictment, Prieto pocketed much of the money and spent it on personal expenses including meals at restaurants and trips to Foxwoods Casino in Ledyard, Conn.
The former homeowners, now tenants, were led to believe loan payments were being made that would help them keep their homes, the indictment said, but Prieto began missing payments and then stopped paying them altogether, according to the indictments.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford man sentenced for lobster trap thefts - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 2
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 2
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Manchester-based scam roofer going to prison for making promises, taking money - 0
- UPDATED: Manchester police recover $11,000 in drugs while investigating domestic assault - 2
- Somersworth mother charged over statements in abuse case against Rochester boyfriend - 2
- UPDATE: Rochester man says he held girl, 3, in headlock for wetting the bed - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Memorial heroic in NHIAA Div. I basketball semifinal defeat - 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
Allenstown rejects town and school budgets
Crowley elected in Northfield
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'