Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme
CONCORD — A man accused of running a mortgage scam that bilked dozens of people into believing they were saving their homes, while prosecutors allege he pocketed $13 million in loan proceeds, was to plead guilty Tuesday, but he changed his mind.
The case of Michael T. Prieto, charged with mail fraud and money laundering, was continued for trial July 23 in U.S. District Court after the plea did not take place, according to the clerk of court's office.
According to an indictment, from 2005 through 2008, Prieto convinced homeowners struggling with mortgage payments to pay him rent on their homes in exchange for their deeds. They had an option to buy back their home in two years.
Unknown to the homeowners, Prieto allegedly used straw purchasers to take out new mortgages totaling more than $13 million on the properties through his various companies located on Elm Street in downtown Manchester.
According to the indictment, Prieto pocketed much of the money and spent it on personal expenses including meals at restaurants and trips to Foxwoods Casino in Ledyard, Conn.
The former homeowners, now tenants, were led to believe loan payments were being made that would help them keep their homes, the indictment said, but Prieto began missing payments and then stopped paying them altogether, according to the indictments.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- Page Restaurant owners agree to pay $4,000 as part of plea deal - 0
- Driver arrested after nearly hitting Canaan police chief - 0
- Police say man attacked woman with sword - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Former Berlin man to be sentenced April 1 for credit union robbery - 0
- Burglary spee brings more charges for Seabrook man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 2
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- “The VA has pointed me in the right direction,” he said. - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424