Deroy Murdock: Corruption aside, the IRS has too much Obamacare authority
Sarah Hall Ingram was commissioner of the IRS's Tax Exempt & Government Entities Division as it began discriminating against and persecuting Tea Party groups and other conservative institutions. As an IRS organizational chart confirms, Ingram was the direct boss of Lois "Fifth Amendment" Lerner, whose administrative leave now allows her to sleep in, relax at home, and collect her annual taxpayer-financed paycheck of $177,000. She still makes $3,000 above what senators earn and more than quadruple the average U.S. wage of $42,980 — all for doing nothing.
• "The IRS is responsible for reviewing, at least once every three years, the community benefit activities of each hospital affected by" Section 9007, observes The Weekly Standard's Jeffrey H. Anderson. "So the judge of whether hospitals are meeting community needs will be the IRS. What could possibly go wrong? (On the heels of [Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen] Sebelius's earlier decrees, one wonders how the IRS will treat Catholic hospitals.)"
Dishing out Obamacare's subsidies and penalties "will require significant resources, particularly customer service resources as taxpayers turn to the IRS with questions and issues about the ACA and their tax and health insurance requirements," IRS Inspector General J. Russell George pleaded with a House Appropriations subcommittee last March 5. "Customer service has been declining in recent years, with fewer taxpayers being served at the local offices and the IRS answering fewer telephone calls. The ACA will further stretch these already limited resources."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate holding rare Saturday vote on Fed pick Janet Yellen - 0
- Destruction of Berlin theater is ruled arson - 0
- Brady, Suggs set to renew bitter rivalry - 0
- West, Towson look to run past Eagles - 0
- Crowley leads Dover hockey past Kingswood - 0
- Beltran, Yankees make it official - 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Ice storm threatens the region
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass