Deroy Murdock: Corruption aside, the IRS has too much Obamacare authority
Sarah Hall Ingram was commissioner of the IRS's Tax Exempt & Government Entities Division as it began discriminating against and persecuting Tea Party groups and other conservative institutions. As an IRS organizational chart confirms, Ingram was the direct boss of Lois "Fifth Amendment" Lerner, whose administrative leave now allows her to sleep in, relax at home, and collect her annual taxpayer-financed paycheck of $177,000. She still makes $3,000 above what senators earn and more than quadruple the average U.S. wage of $42,980 — all for doing nothing.
• "The IRS is responsible for reviewing, at least once every three years, the community benefit activities of each hospital affected by" Section 9007, observes The Weekly Standard's Jeffrey H. Anderson. "So the judge of whether hospitals are meeting community needs will be the IRS. What could possibly go wrong? (On the heels of [Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen] Sebelius's earlier decrees, one wonders how the IRS will treat Catholic hospitals.)"
Dishing out Obamacare's subsidies and penalties "will require significant resources, particularly customer service resources as taxpayers turn to the IRS with questions and issues about the ACA and their tax and health insurance requirements," IRS Inspector General J. Russell George pleaded with a House Appropriations subcommittee last March 5. "Customer service has been declining in recent years, with fewer taxpayers being served at the local offices and the IRS answering fewer telephone calls. The ACA will further stretch these already limited resources."
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up