action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:0
All Sections
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:67
Welcome guest, you have 2 views left. | Register | Sign In


UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died


NORTH HAMPTON – A 79-year-old man who was severely burned in a camper fire at the Shel-Al campground Monday morning has died, a hospital spokesman confirmed.

Robert Sylvain suffered burns to his face, back, legs and arms in what Fire Chief Dennis Cote called a "flash fire" inside his camper.

He was listed in critical condition at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston after the fire, but a hospital spokesman said Tuesday afternoon that he had passed away.

A seasonal camper from Marathon, Fla., Sylvain was inside his camper and may have been using a gas stove in the kitchen when the fire broke out, according to Cote.

"Everything we’re looking at indicates the stove was in use," he said.

Sylvain’s burns covered almost 30 percent of his body.

"Anytime you go over 10 percent it’s critical," Cote said.

A woman with nursing experience who works at the campground and was cleaning windows rushed to Sylvain’s aid when she noticed the fire. After the fire, Sylvain made his way into a screened-in porch area.

"She grabbed his hand and he wanted to go back in to get his belongings and then she immediately said no and pulled on him and got him out the rest of the way," Cote said.

Another worker ran over and shut the valve to the gas tank off outside the camper.

The camper was destroyed in the blaze.

 

 

 

Previous story follows:

 

NORTH HAMPTON — A 79-year-old man remained in critical condition at a Boston hospital Tuesday after he was seriously burned in a camper fire at the Shel-Al campground Monday morning.

Robert Sylvain suffered burns to his face, back, legs and arms in what Fire Chief Dennis Cote called a "flash fire" inside his camper.

A seasonal camper from Marathon, Fla., Sylvain was inside his camper and may have been using a gas stove in the kitchen when the fire broke out, according to Cote.

"Everything we're looking at indicates the stove was in use," he said.

Sylvain's burns cover almost 30 percent of his body.

"Anytime you go over 10 percent it's critical," Cote said.

A woman with nursing experience who works at the campground and was cleaning windows rushed to Sylvain's aid when she noticed the fire. After the fire, Sylvain made his way into a screened-in porch area.

"She grabbed his hand and he wanted to go back in to get his belongings and then she immediately said no and pulled on him and got him out the rest of the way," Cote said.

Another worker ran over and shut the valve to the gas tank off outside the camper.

The camper was destroyed in the blaze.

jschreiber@newstote.com

action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:88
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:64
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:2
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:

        

FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety


NH Angle - Public Safety