Dec 19, 2013
Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time
In court on Monday, Melissa Gutierrez, 28, apologized for her negligence, saying she hopes to turn her life around so that her baby’s death wasn’t in vain.
In a negotiated plea, Gutierrez pleaded guilty to one count of negligent homicide, while additional charges of manslaughter, two counts of reckless conduct and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child were not prosecuted for the drowning incident Aug. 25, 2011, at 46 Wilson Hill Road in Merrimack.
The youngest boy, Christian N’Tapalis, drowned as a result of her negligence, police said.
“I am sorry. I would tell him that I am sorry and that it wasn’t supposed to be that way,” said Gutierrez, apologizing repeatedly for the drowning. “I love him. I love him.”
Previously, a medical expert testified in court that Gutierrez has led a life surrounded with death and drug addiction, noting she previously had an addiction to crack cocaine, prostituted herself and was the victim of a gang rape.
A doctor hired by the defense also previously testified that Gutierrez was suffering from acute stress disorder the moment she found her baby unconscious and, with assistance from a neighbor, attempted to resuscitate the child.The baby’s father, Peter J. N’Tapalis, was not forthcoming with police, according to David Tenzca of the Hillsborough County Attorney’s Office.“It is tragic,” Tenzca said of the baby’s death. However, Tenzca said the incident “was only a matter of time, unfortunately,” elaborating on a previous arrest when Gutierrez allegedly left her older son unattended in parked vehicle for an extended period of time in the summer months with just one window cracked open.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 6
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 4
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- Page Restaurant owners agree to pay $4,000 as part of plea deal - 0
- Driver arrested after nearly hitting Canaan police chief - 0
- Police say man attacked woman with sword - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 4
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424