New era begins, but sad to see old one go
Tomorrow's newspapers will be printed by Seacoast Media Group at the Dover printing plant it has leased from Foster's Daily Democrat, which is also now being printed by SMG. That company prints other titles, including the Nashua Telegraph and the Laconia Daily Sun, at another facility in Portsmouth.
Newspapers large and small are making decisions similar to ours. You either become a commercial hub, printing many titles, or you become a customer, as we are doing.
The bad news is that the work that has been done for the Union Leader by generations of pressmen and mailers, often by succeeding generations of the same families, is no longer available here.
But even if their pay is good and the atmosphere pleasant elsewhere, it is not going to be the same. These guys (very few gals) have worked together for years, as their fathers did before them. They have taken justifiable pride in their crafts and in helping put out the daily and Sunday newspapers that are trucked to the far corners of New Hampshire to be read in thousands of homes, diners, and at business desks.
They have been an important, if unsung, part of the daily life of New Hampshire. I knew several of their dads and uncles and I feel a little like Brooklyn must have felt when the Dodgers moved west.
Write to Joe McQuaid at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter at @deucecrew.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 2
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 2
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 12
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
- Casino tax breaks: Bad news for Gov. Hassan - 4
- A medal well earned: Ryan M. Pitts is a hero - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Craven loves qualifying format - 0
- Revenge? Shea needs none - 0
- Bonner rock'n the hardware - 0
- On Baseball: G'days for Berti boosted his game - 0
- Special Section: Readers' Choice 2014 - 0
- Officials probe fire at Jaffrey trash sorting building - 0
- Swamp Bats fall to Pilgrims - 0
- Bedford tops Machester East in District I LL action - 0
Community groups profit from race week
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?