New era begins, but sad to see old one go
Tomorrow's newspapers will be printed by Seacoast Media Group at the Dover printing plant it has leased from Foster's Daily Democrat, which is also now being printed by SMG. That company prints other titles, including the Nashua Telegraph and the Laconia Daily Sun, at another facility in Portsmouth.
Newspapers large and small are making decisions similar to ours. You either become a commercial hub, printing many titles, or you become a customer, as we are doing.
The bad news is that the work that has been done for the Union Leader by generations of pressmen and mailers, often by succeeding generations of the same families, is no longer available here.
But even if their pay is good and the atmosphere pleasant elsewhere, it is not going to be the same. These guys (very few gals) have worked together for years, as their fathers did before them. They have taken justifiable pride in their crafts and in helping put out the daily and Sunday newspapers that are trucked to the far corners of New Hampshire to be read in thousands of homes, diners, and at business desks.
They have been an important, if unsung, part of the daily life of New Hampshire. I knew several of their dads and uncles and I feel a little like Brooklyn must have felt when the Dodgers moved west.
Write to Joe McQuaid at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter at @deucecrew.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
When company comes, opt for variety
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Market Basket community waits and watches