Powerful storm wreaks havoc in Portsmouth
Bridge Street was blocked by police shortly before 5 p.m. after at least one car got stuck in a massive puddle and had to be pushed out. At least one vehicle also got stuck traveling through high water on Islington Street.
A giant tree branch damaged a trash can and barely missed cars at the Bridge Street parking lot.
Flash flooding also occurred closer to Newington, making exit and entrance to Commerce Way nearly impassable during the worst of the storm.
The skies began to darken around 4 p.m. before heavy rain, some hail and winds blew through the area. The entire storm lasted only about 45 minutes.
Storm drains had difficulty keeping up with the amount of water pouring down, leading to pooling and flooding in many areas.
At around 5:30 p.m. Portsmouth Fire Lt. Mark Newport said telephone poles, wires and trees were down all over the place.? Many roads were closed including Pleasant Street, South Street and Woodbury Avenue by Boyd Street.
He recommended drivers stay off the roads if possible, and if traveling, to do so cautiously and to avoid downed wires.
Fire crews were busy responding, as were Public Service of New Hampshire crews.
He said the water started to recede, but with the skies still cloudy, there is still the chance of more rain to come.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Concord postpones fireworks to Saturday - 0
- LIghtning strike sends Epping house up in flames - 0
- Weather warnings push fireworks to Saturday in Rochester - 0
- Threat of thunderstorms pushes Dover fireworks to Sunday - 0
- Weather could lead to fireworks postponement in Salem - 0
- Some damage, no injuries when more than 7 inches of rain falls on Lost River area - 0
- Campers stranded, roads damaged in Woodstock downpour - 0
- Slow but sweet start for strawberries and most other NH summer crops - 0
- Fire caused by lightning leaves family homeless, dozens without water in Sunapee - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
- Argentina tops Netherlands in shootout to reach final - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax