All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 2 views left. | Register | Sign In

Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned

BRIDGEWATER — A man was severely burned when his pop-up camper caught fire and burned on River Road late Monday afternoon.

Fire Chief Donald Atwood identified the victim as Roger Lenard, who had been living in the camper.

New Hampton Fire Chief Michael Drake, whose crews led the rescue effort because the home at 2607 River Road is near the New Hampton town line, said Lenard suffered first- and second-degree burns to his hands.

Lenard was taken to Speare Memorial Hospital in Plymouth for treatment. Atwood said were minor injuries.

When firefighters arrived at the scene just before 4 p.m., the camper was fully engulfed in flames and Lenard was outside of it in need of treatment, Drake said.

Lenard was treated by rescue crews on the scene and taken to an ambulance, and the fire was quickly extinguished, he said.

The fire started near or at a generator outside the camper, Drake said.

“First we were told he was watching TV in the camper, and then he told us he was working on the generator when it happened,” he said.

The state Fire Marshal’s office has been notified, Atwood said, but the cause of the fire is not believed to be suspicious.


Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety

NH Angle - Public Safety