Final Float-In For Memorial Bridge Scheduled for This Morning
The barge Cape Cod was scheduled to move the center and final span of the bridge from the New Hampshire State Pier to the bridge around 1 a.m. this morning.
Carol Morris, spokesman with Archer Western, the main contractors on the project, said it will take up to 12 hours to get the span in place and secured.
A five-day river closure was to take effect at 1 a.m. and continue through 1 a.m. on June 22. The river closure was coordinated with the United States Coast Guard.
The move of the center span is being coordinated with the Portsmouth Harbor Pilots and is highly dependent on the tides in the fast-flowing river.
Morris said the goal is to move the span down to the bridge just as the outgoing tide is reaching slack.
Bridge watchers had already gathered at the north pier at Prescott Park by 10 p.m. in anticipation of the historic event.
Onlookers can expect to see the span raise and lower more than once during the next five days as testing of the lift mechanism continues.
The bridge is expected to open to traffic sometime in July.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester schools off 'priority' list - 0
- Nashua officials seek advice on issue of student cellphone searches vs. privacy - 9
- Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center - 2
- NEASC votes to reaccredit Central High - 1
- Londonderry school policy updates sought - 0
- New schedule feature will provide Nashua students with opportunities - 0
- Manchester forums will allow public to question principal finalists - 0
- Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses - 1
- Manchester education standards proposal derided at public hearing - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Gilles Bissonnette: To keep Libertarians off the ballot, NH violates their rights - 0
- Insanity: Obamacare and the rule of law - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's counterweight to a strong central government - 0
- Tom Woodlock All-Stars primed for success in Babe Ruth tournament - 0
- Manchester waives right to buy Millyard building - 0
- Police search for missing Stratford woman - 0
- Blue Jays cool off Red Sox - 0
- Passers-by, including two active-duty Army soldiers, help rescue mom, daughter in I-93 rollover - 0
- Manchester panel OKs new academic standards, despite Common Core criticism - 0
Passers-by, including two active-duty Army soldiers, help rescue mom, daughter in I-93 rollover
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's
Insanity: Obamacare and the rule of law
- Should mortar-style firework sales to the public be prohibited?
- Total Votes: 1507