Final Float-In For Memorial Bridge Scheduled for This Morning
The barge Cape Cod was scheduled to move the center and final span of the bridge from the New Hampshire State Pier to the bridge around 1 a.m. this morning.
Carol Morris, spokesman with Archer Western, the main contractors on the project, said it will take up to 12 hours to get the span in place and secured.
A five-day river closure was to take effect at 1 a.m. and continue through 1 a.m. on June 22. The river closure was coordinated with the United States Coast Guard.
The move of the center span is being coordinated with the Portsmouth Harbor Pilots and is highly dependent on the tides in the fast-flowing river.
Morris said the goal is to move the span down to the bridge just as the outgoing tide is reaching slack.
Bridge watchers had already gathered at the north pier at Prescott Park by 10 p.m. in anticipation of the historic event.
Onlookers can expect to see the span raise and lower more than once during the next five days as testing of the lift mechanism continues.
The bridge is expected to open to traffic sometime in July.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- IT overload: Bureaucracy on bureaucracy - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 12
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 5
- Lives not lost: As long as we remember - 0
- Slammed: A Seabrook officer indicted - 9
- Abuse in school: A city teacher and a late report - 2
- Computerized firearms: Holder's bad gun idea - 3
- Republican diversity: NH welcomes political ideas - 8
- Reams vs. Foster: A power grab struck down - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire