Final Float-In For Memorial Bridge Scheduled for This Morning
The barge Cape Cod was scheduled to move the center and final span of the bridge from the New Hampshire State Pier to the bridge around 1 a.m. this morning.
Carol Morris, spokesman with Archer Western, the main contractors on the project, said it will take up to 12 hours to get the span in place and secured.
A five-day river closure was to take effect at 1 a.m. and continue through 1 a.m. on June 22. The river closure was coordinated with the United States Coast Guard.
The move of the center span is being coordinated with the Portsmouth Harbor Pilots and is highly dependent on the tides in the fast-flowing river.
Morris said the goal is to move the span down to the bridge just as the outgoing tide is reaching slack.
Bridge watchers had already gathered at the north pier at Prescott Park by 10 p.m. in anticipation of the historic event.
Onlookers can expect to see the span raise and lower more than once during the next five days as testing of the lift mechanism continues.
The bridge is expected to open to traffic sometime in July.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Strategery: A war by any other name - 20
- Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.? - 5
- Public be damned: Litchfield latest example - 2
- NH's 9/11 victims: We cannot forget - 0
- Celebrating Stark: And America, in Manchester - 0
- NH's Obamabots: Taking their cues from party bosses - 57
- Spending & voting: MayDay's wasted money - 5
- For the NH GOP: Two new stars - 13
- 9/11 memories revived: 'A quiet, unyielding anger' - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 7
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out
Deroy Murdock: Stuff the Obama lunch tax