Mickelson birdies 17, holds one-shot lead at U.S. Open
Four-time major winner Mickelson, looking for his first U.S. Open title after finishing runner-up a record five times, bogeyed the daunting 18th hole to complete an even-par 70 for a one-under-par 209 total.
"Let's go. I can't wait to get back out playing."
One shot back on a see-saw day at the top of the leaderboard were 2011 Masters champion Charl Schwartzel, who posted 69, and Americans Hunter Mahan (69) and Steve Stricker (70).
World No. 1 Tiger Woods, hoping to end a five-year drought in the majors dating back to the 2008 U.S. Open, and world No. 2 Rory McIlroy both moved within three shots of the pace with birdies on the first hole.
Senden, who briefly led by one, faded with five bogeys in the last 11 holes to card a 74, finishing six strokes off the lead.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hillsborough district names its Teacher of Year - 0
- Nashua Board of Education signals new leadership - 0
- PSU adjunct faculty members approve three-year contract - 0
- UNH, trustees seek to reverse arbitrator's decision to reinstate professor - 13
- NH students take part in computer education week - 0
- Math world stunned by UNH lecturer's find - 3
- Consultant report on UNH Manchester issues almost done - 4
- 'Embrance the challenge ... behold the view,' MCPHS grads told - 0
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 2
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
Sales of new limited edition ‘Old Man’ liquor bottles will help fund Hall of Flags restoration projectREADER COMMENTS: 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan