Kattar wins main event in MMA action in Salem
Kattar, who hails from across the border in Methuen, Mass., had the strong backing of the partisan hometown crowd as he bloodied Baino from the opening round and ruined the Brazilian fighter's previously unblemished record.
Baino, who appeared to be fighting blindly in the later rounds after Kattar opened deep, gushing cuts over both eyes, dropped to 5-1 while Kattar fought his way out of a guillotine choke hold at the end of the first round and a kimora submission attempt in the third to improve to 14-2.
To veteran observers, this appeared to be Kattar's toughest pro fight.
In the co-main event between two first time professionals, Lakes Region Valley Tudo representative Mike Burke dominated John Healey (0-1) from Wakefield, with a succession of strikes, dropped him to the ground, and continued to batter and bloody him until the referee stopped the fight 1:12 into the first round.
With the TKO, Burke stands at 1-0 after an impressive 5-1 amateur record.
In the first amateur fight of the night, Team Triumph of Nashua representative Jay Perrin improved to 3-1 by submitting Matt Denning of CMBJJ with an arm bar in 2:28 of round 2. Denning, who battled his opponent evenly in the first round at 140 pounds, dropped his second straight match to fall to 1-2.
Florian's better stand-up game proved the difference as he was declared the winner by split decision and upped his record to 3-0 while Cafone is now 3-1.
Next up, Scott Gorgone and Dave Sousa got the crowd screaming and cheering from the opening bell with an aggressive, intense and evenly waged bloody battle featuring a flurry of powerful strikes and a masterful ground game from both tough and courageous fighters for the first two rounds.
Gorgone gained the advantage in the final round with his ground game and was declared the winner by unanimous decision to remain undefeated at 3-0-0, while Sousa dropped to 1-2 while being a better fighter than his record shows.
Then Dan Connaughton (1-0) needed only 1:07 of the first round to win his amateur debut when he submitted local favorite Kristian Lombardi of Team Fury (0-1) by an arm bar in their fight at 185 pounds.
145 - Calvin Kattar (Methuen, MA) def. Gabriel Baino (Brazil), unanimous decision
155- Mike Burke (Laconia, NH) def. John Healey (Wakefield, NH), TKO, 1:21 Round 1
140 - Jay Perrin (Hudson, NH) def. Matt Denning (Lewiston, ME), arm triangle, 2:28 Round 2
145 - Scott Gorgone (Maynard, MA) def. David Sousa (No. Andover, MA), unanimous dec.
155- Wayne Ahlquist (Meredith, NH) def. Tollison Lewis (Windham, ME), unanimous dec.
190 - Paul Gaffney (Manchester, NH) def. Crowsneck Boutin (Lube, ME), TKO round 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Chara's 'Gordie' lifts Bruins over Rangers - 0
- Bruin’s effort a turkey in 6-1 loss to Detroit - 0
- Krug lifts Bruins over Penguins in OT - 0
- B's top Hurricanes in overtime - 0
- Blues tip Bruins in shootout - 0
- Soderberg, Smith lead Bruins to victory - 0
- Strong third period helps Senators end Bruins hex - 0
- Former Monarchs lift Kings over Islanders - 0
- Lucic goal lifts Bruins to overtime victory - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 0
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 0
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
- Store cashier in Littleton refuses to give up the cash to robber - 0
- UPDATE: Dover toll plaza appears undamaged after Tuesday crash - 2
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840