Home » News » Public Safety
Road sign a sobering reminder of tragedy
†Wendy Deabill of New Boston removes the wrapping from a sign erected in honor of her father, Henry Magee, who was killed by a drunk driver in 2006.† (KATHY REMILLARD/Union Leader Correspondent)
Henry Magee, a longtime Bedford resident, was coming home from an early morning fishing trip in September 2006 when he was struck head-on by a drunk driver and killed on Route 101 near Liberty Hill Road.
Former Bedford Police Chief David Bailey, who supported Deabill in her endeavor, said the sign, which will be in place for two years, serves two purposes.
Bailey joined Deabill, her daughter Kate and brother Jim Magee at the site of the crash Friday to unveil the sign, which is the first of its kind in the state following the bill's passage in July 2010.
"This is the first that the Legislature has approved," Valliere said. "We're not hoping that there will be many more, but we're hoping that this one will be a deterrent to help eliminate drunk driving."
"This is a reminder that he's really gone," she said. "It shattered so many lives."
"I feel badly for her," Deabill said. "She didn't set out to do it. I'm at peace with it."
"Now that I'm here, I have to say it's a profound and touching moment," he said. "I'm delighted that the permanence of my father's presence is kind of memorialized here."Magee said he could envision his father's reaction to the memorial.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Father of missing Conway teen says he wants custody of his daughter - 0
- Mass. man safe after crashing plane into Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Lebanon police lieutenant resigns during internal probe into faking of fitness test results - 0
- Hampton man still in critical condition from Rte. 125 crash - 0
- UPDATE: Pilot OK after Lake Winnipesaukee plane crash - 0
- Hampton man in critical condition after crash on Route 125 - 0
- Concord water main break diverts traffic - 0
- Claremont convent ravaged by fire to be razed - 0
- Hampton woman pulled from truck, in hospital after I-95 crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry councilors critical of town’s economic development website - 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
High School Volleyball results
Bruins shut out Wings
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing