Home » News » Public Safety
Road sign a sobering reminder of tragedy
†Wendy Deabill of New Boston removes the wrapping from a sign erected in honor of her father, Henry Magee, who was killed by a drunk driver in 2006.† (KATHY REMILLARD/Union Leader Correspondent)
Henry Magee, a longtime Bedford resident, was coming home from an early morning fishing trip in September 2006 when he was struck head-on by a drunk driver and killed on Route 101 near Liberty Hill Road.
Former Bedford Police Chief David Bailey, who supported Deabill in her endeavor, said the sign, which will be in place for two years, serves two purposes.
Bailey joined Deabill, her daughter Kate and brother Jim Magee at the site of the crash Friday to unveil the sign, which is the first of its kind in the state following the bill's passage in July 2010.
"This is the first that the Legislature has approved," Valliere said. "We're not hoping that there will be many more, but we're hoping that this one will be a deterrent to help eliminate drunk driving."
"This is a reminder that he's really gone," she said. "It shattered so many lives."
"I feel badly for her," Deabill said. "She didn't set out to do it. I'm at peace with it."
"Now that I'm here, I have to say it's a profound and touching moment," he said. "I'm delighted that the permanence of my father's presence is kind of memorialized here."Magee said he could envision his father's reaction to the memorial.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- Family trying to recover from fire 2 weeks before Christmas - 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 2
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 8
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072