Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Police say Somersworth man charged in toddler's smothering death lived with child
Chief Medical Examiner Thomas Andrew determined the child, Noah York, died from smothering and ruled his death a homicide.
Jared Pope, 30, of Somersworth was arrested and charged with manslaughter for allegedly causing the child's death, according to the state Attorney General's Office. He is scheduled to be arraigned Monday in the 7th Circuit District Court in Dover.
Geoffrey Ward, an attorney with the AG's Office, confirmed York and Pope lived in the same apartment at 231 High St. but declined to say whether they were related.
Ward said he couldn't comment on the circumstances leading up to the incident, how the child was smothered or why Pope was charged specifically with manslaughter.
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 5:48 p.m. Friday to 231 High St. after a 911 call — placed from Apt. 2, where the pair lived — reported a toddler was in distress.
"The child was in distress when the emergency personnel arrived," Ward said.
Ambulance crews transported York to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover, where he was later pronounced dead.
Somersworth police referred all inquiries to the Attorney General's Office.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- Page Restaurant owners agree to pay $4,000 as part of plea deal - 0
- Driver arrested after nearly hitting Canaan police chief - 0
- Police say man attacked woman with sword - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Former Berlin man to be sentenced April 1 for credit union robbery - 0
- Burglary spee brings more charges for Seabrook man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- “The VA has pointed me in the right direction,” he said. - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424