Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Orioles efficient in win over Sox
The victory moved the Orioles (39-29) within 1 1/2 games of the first-place Red Sox (41-28) in the American League East.
Tillman (7-2) allowed three hits and struck out three. He walked a batter in each of the first four innings, but kept Boston at bay and retired eight straight before Jose Iglesias led off the seventh inning with a double on his 106th pitch.
Tommie Hunter pitched a perfect eighth and Jim Johnson survived a hit batter in the ninth for his 24th save.
Iglesias had two hits for Boston.
Both teams had many chances to score early. Boston stranded six base runners over the first four innings, and the Orioles wasted a one-out double by Machado in the first.
Baltimore added a run in the third. With one out, Nate McLouth walked and Machado singled.
Iglesias extended his hitting in games in which he has an official plate appearance to 15 with a fourth-inning single. ...
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hundreds turn out for annual Newfound Turkey Trot - 0
- Manchester, Derry road races draw more than 3,600 trotters - 0
- Holiday road, trail races aplenty across NH - 0
- Wobble 'n' Gobble run set for Thanksgiving in Franconia - 0
- Wolfeboro Turkey Trot aids Lions Club, food pantries - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Communities reap economic benefits from road races - 0
- Road issues bring future Hampton marathons into question - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Time has come for NH road racing Hall of Fame - 0
- Andy Schachat's On The Run: How big are NH races going to get? - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Man awarded $250K in sexual assault at medical center - 0
Ice storm threatens the region
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass