Governor to get bill to study changes to way Northern Pass, wind farms are sited
Originally Senate Bill 99 would have established a one-year moratorium that would have halted the Northern Pass transmission project and numerous proposed wind farms.
Sen. Lou D'Allesandro, D-Manchester, called the bill's time lines unrealistic. The study is to be completed by Dec. 31; it could take another year to adopt new regulatory criteria.
But one of the bill's sponsors, Sen. Jeff Woodburn, R-Dalton, urged the Senate to approve the House changes so the study could begin as soon as possible — along with changes to the site evaluation process.
In the end, the Senate agreed to the House version of the bill.
Senate Majority Leader Jeb Bradley, R-Wolfeboro, said it is "absolutely essential" to have a study, particularly of projects like Northern Pass and the wind farms proposed around the Newfound Lake area.
He argued the bill is not a de facto moratorium. Instead, he said, proposed changes will affect any developer proposing a future project.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Windham boys prevail in hoop opener - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Rich won’t return to coach Londonderry football - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan